Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My son and daughter had a disagreement. My daughter called…

Customer Question
My son and daughter...

My son and daughter had a disagreement. My daughter called 911. The case was scheduled for district court, daughter filed a motion to dismiss we arrived to court and were told the state picked up the case for inditement.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Maryland. The hearing is coming up soon, since then my daughter has been harassed by the states attorney's office and police officers. I need guidance on how to deal with this as my daughter does not wish to testify-press charges. We were told that we do not have to speak with anyone. However, today mailing of court documents were delivered to my sisters home and someone was outside of the home videoing . Can you tell me what my daughter and my rights are, please

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Filed or reported in relation to what? case or harassment?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My son is married and does not live at my residence, but they sent all summons together. Does my daughter have to be a witness for the state?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/6/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly

100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Thank you very much for your patience on this. Generally, how your daughter deals with the district attorney is going to be the biggest issue. You see, generally, the district attorney needs witnesses to help prove their case. The cases have to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt before they are able to secure a conviction under the law. Accordingly, if your daughter says that she may have mistakenly believed that there was a criminal incident on the date in question, but now believes that it is not the case, then she may not be a witness that the DA can rely upon to help secure any kind of conviction. She could send the DA a copy of the motion to dismiss the case if it highlights the facts. Another thing to keep in mind is that your daughter is required to tell the truth if she is subpoenaed to testify if the DA decides not to drop the case. However, she is not obligated to remember every detail. Thus, some witnesses that do not want to see someone go to prison will often “not recall” situations. I am not encouraging you to tell her to lie, but I am saying that fuzzy memories are often a way that some witnesses help the accused.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.