Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Slander: If falsely accused of child abuse and while under…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Slander: If...

Second opinion] Slander: If falsely accused of child abuse and while under investigation can you order the accuser to not slander a child care facilities reputation as the investigation continues?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New York

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Reported.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The child was asked to be removed because the child was suffering form extreme separation anxiety, then the care takers suggested a form of therapy. The next day Childcare Services visited the facility with a claim of child abuse and presented a photo of 2 small superficial marks on the child skin.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
10/7/2017
Family Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

As the previous attorney correctly noted, it is very rare for a court to issue a gag order. While television and movies may make it appear otherwise, and that these are issued routinely, the reality is that people are afforded the right to their opinions and free speech so gag orders are issued sparingly and with great reluctance.

To the extent false statements are being made to a third party or parties however, and damages have been incurred, that can form the basis of a defamation claim.

If you require any additional information or clarification, please REPLY WITHOUT RATING and I'm happy to help you further. Otherwise, kindly remember to click on the stars at the top of the page to leave me a positive rating as experts are only compensated for our time and efforts once you do so. Thank you.