Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My 15 year old daughter does not want to have visitation…

Customer Question
My 15 year old...

My 15 year old daughter does not want to have visitation with her mother. Father has custody. The other is abusive and has a drug problem. We are currently in mediation. The mediator does not want to hear from or the child on this issue. How can we get this matter in front of the judge. We have letters from doctors as well as teachers supporting this position.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

In Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes. He was unable to help.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Will this be a phone conversation or email? We just need to understand what process we need to take to have a dialogue between the child and the judge. Thank you

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/6/2017
Family Lawyer: JD 1992, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

If you receive a notice or email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the notice or email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

You file a Motion for Judge to Confer with Child in Chambers. There is also an affidavit you can have the child sign that states they don't want to have visitation and why.

However, you should really consider continuing to look for a lawyer because it is fairly complicated to get a judge to agree that a child doesn't have to see one of their parents unless the parent has convicted of some kind of crime that occurred while the child was with them or to the child (ex. physical abuse).

Letters and even affidavits from witnesses aren't admissible, you will have to call them as a live witness at the hearing. The child's affidavit is just to get the motion heard.