Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can I collect on my partners social sercurity? We live in…

Customer Question
Can I collect on...

Can I collect on my partners social sercurity? We live in CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We have lived together almost 30 years.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
10/5/2017
Family Lawyer: John, Attorney replied 10 months ago
John, Attorney

Have you lived in California that entire 30 years or have there been other states of residence, provide dates of residence if so.

We have lived entirely here in CA, We registered with the bank many years ago as domestic partners.

Sorry to tell you, Social Securty will not recognize your partnership for purposes of paying benefits. It only recognizes marriage. See https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0200305060

Because California hasn't recognized common law marraige since 1982, you are not married by any definition.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.