Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Child Custody Question. Missouri

Customer Question
Child Custody Question Lawyer's...

Child Custody Question

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you want to talk to a Family Lawyer?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: OK. As the Family Lawyer's Assistant I have a few questions for you. Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Missouri

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
10/5/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

What questions may I help you with today.

My ex husband and I are in a custody battle. He has filed for full custody due to my new husband's past (he has a few felonies. However, he is living a good clean life presently). He doesn't want my kids around my new husband so has filed. He has requested phone records and bank statements. I do NOT understand why he needs this information. What can he gain from looking at phone records?

He can file and ask for such documents.They may not be admissible.But the scope here of discovery is that mi might lead to relevant information.So he likely can get these through discovery as could you from him if you choose.I don't know that he gets anything out of these but the purpose of discovery is to let people fish for information even if it is not used in court.

6.01. General Provisions Governing Discovery

(a) Discovery Methods. Parties may obtain discovery by one or more of the following methods: depositions upon oral examination or written questions; written interrogatories; production of documents or things or permission to enter upon land or other property, for inspection and other purposes; physical and mental examinations; and requests for admission.

(b) Scope of Discovery. Unless otherwise limited by order of the court in accordance with these rules, the scope of discovery is as follows:

(1) In General. Parties may obtain discovery regarding any matter, not privileged, that is relevant to the subject matter involved in the pending action, whether it relates to the claim or defense of the party seeking discovery or to the claim or defense of any other party, including the existence, description, nature, custody, condition and location of any books, documents or other tangible things and the identity and location of persons having knowledge of any discoverable matter.

It is not ground for objection that the information sought will be inadmissible at the trial if the information sought appears reasonably calculated to lead to the discovery of admissible evidence.

The party seeking discovery shall bear the burden of establishing relevance.

(2) Insurance Agreements. A party may obtain discovery of the existence and contents, including production of the policy and declaration page, of any insurance agreement under which any person carrying on an insurance business may be liable to satisfy part or all of a judgment that may be entered in the action or to indemnify or reimburse for payments made to satisfy the judgment. Information concerning the insurance agreement is not by reason of disclosure admissible in evidence at trial. For purposes of this Rule 56.01(b)(2) an application for insurance shall not be treated as part of an insurance agreement.

(3) Trial Preparation: Materials. Subject to the provisions of Rule 56.01(b)(4), a party may obtain discovery of documents and tangible things otherwise discoverable under Rule 56.01(b)(1) and prepared in anticipation of litigation or for trial by or for another party or by or for that other party's representative, including an attorney, consultant, surety, indemnitor, insurer, or agent, only upon a showing that the party seeking discovery has substantial need of the materials in the preparation of the case and that the adverse party is unable without undue hardship to obtain the substantial equivalent of the materials by other means. In ordering discovery of such materials when the required showing has been made, the court shall protect against disclosure of the mental impressions, conclusions, opinions, or legal theories of an attorney or other representative of a party concerning the litigation.

A party may obtain without the required showing a statement concerning the action or its subject matter previously made by that party. For purposes of this paragraph, a statement previously made is: (a) a written statement signed or otherwise adopted or approved by the person making it, or (b) a stenographic, mechanical, electrical, audio, video, motion picture or other recording, or a transcription thereof, of the party or of a statement made by the party and contemporaneously recorded.

(4) Trial Preparation: Experts. Discovery of facts known and opinions held by experts, otherwise discoverable under the provisions of Rule 56.01(b)(1) and acquired or developed in anticipation of litigation or for trial, may be obtained only as follows:

• (A) A party may through interrogatories require any other party to identify each person whom the other party expects to call as an expert witness at trial by providing such experts name, address, occupation, place of employment and qualifications to give an opinion, or if such information is available on the expert's curriculum vitae, such curriculum vitae may be attached to the interrogatory answers as a full response to such interrogatory, and to state the general nature of the subject matter on which the expert is expected to testify, and the expert's hourly deposition fee.
            (B) A party may discover through a deposition the facts and opinions to which the expert is expected to testify. Unless manifest injustice would result, the court shall require that the party seeking discovery from an expert pay the expert a reasonable hourly fee for the time such expert is deposed.

(5) Trial Preparations: Non-retained Experts. A party, through interrogatories, may require any other party to identify each non-retained expert witness, including a party, whom the other party expects to call at trial who may provide expert witness opinion testimony by providing the expert's name, address, and field of expertise. For the purpose of this Rule 56.01(b)(5), an expert witness is a witness qualified as an expert by knowledge, experience, training, or education giving testimony relative to scientific, technical or other specialized knowledge that will assist the trier of fact to understand the evidence. Discovery of the facts known and opinions held by such an expert shall be discoverable in the same manner as for lay witnesses.

(6) Approved Interrogatories and Request for Production. A circuit court by local court rule may promulgate 'approved' interrogatories and requests for production for use in specified types of litigation. Each such approved interrogatory and request for production submitted to a party shall be denominated as having been approved by reference to the local court rule and paragraph number containing the interrogatory or request for production.

(c) Protective Orders. Upon motion by a party or by the person from whom discovery is sought, and for good cause shown, the court may make any order which justice requires to protect a party or person from annoyance, embarrassment, oppression, or undue burden or expense, including one or more of the following:

(1) that the discovery not be had;

(2) that the discovery may be had only on specified terms and conditions, including a designation of the time or place;

(3) that the discovery may be had only by a method of discovery other than that selected by the party seeking discovery;

(4) that certain matters not be inquired into, or that the scope of the discovery be limited to certain matters;

(5) that discovery be conducted with no one present except persons designated by the court;

(6) that a deposition after being sealed be opened only by order of the court;

(7) that a trade secret or other confidential research, development, or commercial information not be disclosed or be disclosed only in a designated way;

(8) that the parties simultaneously file specified documents or information enclosed in sealed envelopes to be opened as directed by the court.

If a motion for a protective order is denied in whole or in part, the court may, on such terms and conditions as are just, order that any party or person provide or permit discovery. The provisions of Rule 61.01 apply to the award of expenses incurred in relation to the motion.

(d) Sequence and Timing of Discovery. Unless the court upon motion, for the convenience of parties and witnesses and in the interests of justice, orders otherwise, methods of discovery may be used in any sequence and the fact that a party is conducting discovery, whether by deposition or otherwise, shall not operate to delay any other party's discovery.

(e) Supplementation of Responses. A party is under a duty seasonably to amend a prior response to an interrogatory, request for production, or request for admission if the party learns that the response is in some material respect incomplete or incorrect and if the additional or corrective information has not otherwise been made known to the other parties during the discovery process or in writing.

(f) Stipulations Regarding Discovery Procedure. Unless the court orders otherwise, the parties may by written stipulation (1) provide that depositions may be taken before any person at any time or place, upon any notice, and in any manner and when so taken may be used like other depositions, and (2) modify the procedures provided by these Rules for other methods of discovery. Any stipulation under subdivision (2) shall be filed

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

You can file a motion here for protective orders to limit say dates of discovery here or narrow it down some.

c) Protective Orders. Upon motion by a party or by the person from whom discovery is sought, and for good cause shown, the court may make any order which justice requires to protect a party or person from annoyance, embarrassment, oppression, or undue burden or expense, including one or more of the following:

(1) that the discovery not be had;

Sample for form here if you want to file

http://www.unhappyfranchisee.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Defendants-Motion-for-Protective-Order-7-5-12.pdf

Court hears your motion and decide what you have to produce,

Thanks and thanks for rating 5 stars.

My lawyer did that. He said No and the judge wants these documents. I guess my question is WHY? There is nothing that can come from who I call/text that matters in my children's lives

Then it is within scope of discovery , not sure why he wants them, phone records to link you to husband, not sure why he wants financial here.It may not be admissible here in court.All you can do is get them since judge ordered this.Your lawyer may have sent some to him and this is just his way to get back here.

Thanks again, I wish you the best here.

RayAnswers
          RayAnswers
          RayAnswers, Lawyer