Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Are you required to show a copy of a child's SS card and…

Customer Question
Are you required to...

Are you required to show a copy of a child's SS card and birth certificate in order to visit someone in prison.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I have been asked to provide those things in order for my grandson to visit his mother by his other grandmother and dont know if it a requirement for visitation or not.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
10/5/2017
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Visitors to a prison who are 16 or older are required by the Department of Corrections to show a photo ID proving identity. Children under the age of 16 are not required to show ID. However, visitation is largely limited to relatives, and the Department of Corrections does allow a facility to require proof of a relationship. Once he is verified as a relative and approved, he shouldn't need the birth certificate or social security card for future visits.

Here is more information from the Department of Corrections.

http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/sites/default/files/Visitation_FAQs.pdf

You may want to see if there is a website for the specific facility to see if they have a different policy listed than what you were told, or call to talk to someone in the warden's office about visitation requirements.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?