Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I divorce last year, during divorce process my ex-wife

Customer Question
Hello! I divorce last...

Hello! I divorce last year, during divorce process my ex-wife permanently told defamatory lies to business associates and employees to damage my reputation. After divorce decree she continue to do so. In my kind of business reputation is ALL.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Hello, I have mentioned it to my divorce attorney but have not given me concrete answers or course of action

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to find a way to stop her of damaging my reputation and to make her write a letter telling the truth of all to all people she has told lies to

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
10/5/2017
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry you are having to deal with this especially after you thought that part of your life was done with.

Fortunately there is recourse for defamation.

Slander and Libel are forms of defamation (slander is oral, libel is written).
Basically a defendant can be liable for defamation if the defendant
1. publishes a statement
2. to a third party
3. that puts plaintiff in a false light
and
4. plaintiff suffers harm as a result of the false statement.
There is defamation per se-meaning that malice and damages generally need not be proven, as the statement is so hurtful/derogatory they are assumed to be damaging.
These involve statements that address:
1. chastity (so sexual misconduct)
2. criminal misconduct
3. indiciating a person had a loathsome or contagious disease
or
4. conduct that is inconsistent with one's profession or business.

The courts do allow for opinions to be expressed in most circumstances but it must clearly be an opinion as opposed to a fact/statement.

The remedies are:

1. sending a cease and desist letter and requesting a retraction

2. if ignored, filing in court for a protective order precluding the person from making defamatory comments. Violation of a protective order has both civil and criminal consequences.

3. sue for defamation-for actual damages (ie loss of business) and possibly punitive damages (designed to punish the defendant) and emotional pain and suffering.

There is what is called "defamation per se" and that means damages are presumed (versus requiring the plaintiff to prove them) when the defamation deals with one's business reputation.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:

LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer