Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am writing to you based on me marrying someone outside the…

Customer Question
I am writing to...

I am writing to you based on me marrying someone outside the country. I have know him since I was 12 and he was raised by my grandma . I went back to his country in September and we connected again. I really love this man and want to be with him. I asked him to marry me so we don't have to deal with a long distant relationship. I was now informed that he was not just a kid my grandma raised but that he's my uncle son from another woman which makes him my cousin. I'm pregnant by him and I still want to be with him.... will that be a problem me marrying him?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

New York

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No I'm leaving on Saturday to marry him but before I go I wanted to know if it's ok

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that was it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
10/5/2017
Family Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. There's not actually a problem with that, because marriage to a first cousin is legal in New York. You can find void marriages here: http://codes.findlaw.com/ny/domestic-relations-law/dom-sect-5.html. You'll see that marriage to a cousin is not included, meaning that it is legal. And as such, you can also petition for him from an immigration perspective.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

Hello?

Can you see on your screen where you need to rate it? Note that you may need to press a "submit" button after clicking on the appropriate star rating. This is what I'm waiting on from you. Thanks!

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time (~55 minutes) and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Hello?

Please note that I am still waiting for your response or rating...

Are you there?