Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My wife just walked out on me and my faminly saying she cant…

Customer Question
My wife just walked...

My wife just walked out on me and my faminly saying she cant take it no more and shes never coming back and she said whe didnt care anyomore.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

North carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet it just happend 10 minutes ago and and she has been threateninig to leave for a while.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes im on disability and not workin, i have 2 children that i want custody of, and when she left that was called abandoment right?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/5/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly

100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted

Thank you so much for your patience. Generally, North Carolina cases recognize constructive abandonment as marital fault. This means that you could use this as a grounds for divorce in your state. This may impact her ability to get custody and unless she has a legitimate reason for leaving,t hen she may not get custody of the kids. It may also limit her ability to claim spousal support, if she so requests it. Unless there is a legitimate defense to abandonment such as drug and alcohol abuse or domestic violence, the other party's claims may be prejudiced if you file for divorce.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.