Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can retirement accounts be seized in NYS for child support…

Customer Question
Can retirement accounts be...

Can retirement accounts be seized in NYS for child support arrears that is now a money judgment?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New York

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

NOT ABOUT THIS QUESTION YET

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I just want to know if this is possible. just a yes or no

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/4/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly

100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Thank you for your patience. Generally, your retirement accounts are going to be protected from money judgments. However, New York law makes an exception such that child support can be cured by retirement accounts. The reason is because public policy is in favor of supporting children meaning that if child support has not been paid then the state can find a way to make sure that it does.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.