Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a 16 year old grandson who will be 17 in 2 weeks. He…

Customer Question
I have a 16...

I have a 16 year old grandson who will be 17 in 2 weeks. He has been expelled from school numerous times. I know his parents are at their wits end. Can they legally kick him out of the home and not provide shelter to food?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I have not

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
10/4/2017
Family Lawyer: Longhorn Lawyer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Longhorn Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: Georgia requires parents to provide for basic needs: sufficient nourishment, shelter or clothing. Child abandonment is defined as neglecting a child’s basic needs for a period of 30 days or longer. In that way, kicking a child out of the home may be the basis for a finding of child abandonment in Georgia. And when a parent is found guilty of this offense, he faces a maximum of up to 12 months in prison or a fine of $1,000.

But if the parent voluntarily gives up parental right by petitioning in court and the petition being approved, a finding child abandonment will not be made.

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not received credit for it. Do you need more help? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Thank you!