Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I already placed an order? Where is a person to help??

Customer Question
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
10/4/2017
Family Lawyer: N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
N.Brown ESQ
N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your questions. Did you need help with a specific question?

I was granted a protection order for my kids against their father. He filed a complaint of abuse by me after he saw the order. Chil services questioned my kids. One of them said i hit them. Ch services placed them with my relative. How will this negatively affect the protection order hearing in 2 weeks
Can you answer please

I am reviewing your question. It will be just a moment.

I understand that this is a difficult situation. To ensure I answer your question properly was this protective order the result of and arrest or did you file for the protective order on your own?

On my own
If childrens services gets involved can that affect the protection order getting extended
Are you there

The information about the complaint of abuse against you would have to get before the judicial authority that is going to rule on the protective order. Generally, when the protective order is filed by an individual than the only evidence that the judge has to consider is what is presented to the by the parties. So if the children's father could bring up the child abuse complaint filed against you as part of his defense to the protective order. At that point then it would be up to you to provide you own testimony to counter his. Ultimately it is the judicial authority who will decide how much importance or relevance to give the child abuse claim.

he cant call cps as a witness
Would they tell him specific info that the kids have been placed if he asked

He can. He has the right to call any witness and present any evidence to defend himself from the allegations in the protective order.

How do you think he could defend himself, by saying i am the abusive one
Can you elaborate please
Can sps criminally charge me

I can't say specifically how the father would defend himself. It depends on the allegations that were made and what the father thinks his best options are and what the father thinks the judge will find credible. But is is definitely conceivable that he would bring up that you now have an abuse claim as well.

The possibility of you being charged would depend on the allegations that were made in the complaint against you.

Can i change my mind after i signed a care statement. I dont want them interviewed

Do you mean preventing them from being interviewed as part of the protective order, or as part of the child abuse allegation against you?

I know this must be a difficult situation. You should consult with an juvenile law attorney who can review the facts of your case to give you the best advice on how to proceed.

For additional information on your rights as a parent dealing with CPS see https://www.ohiobar.org/ForPublic/Resources/LawYouCanUse/Pages/Parents-Have-Rights-When-Deaing-with-Children-Services-Caseworkers.aspx

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please do not forget to click ACCEPT. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work. I receive no credit for my time with you unless you actually press ACCEPT. If you need for information, please use the REPLY button and I'd be fore than happy to answer your additional questions to your satisfaction. I wish you all the best in resolving this issue and hope it is resolved to your satisfaction.