Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am a women that was in a same sex relationship for

Customer Question
5+years. while with my partner...
i am a women that was in a same sex relationship for 5+years. while with my partner she got pregnant and has our baby boy. we were together while she was pregnant and after. i helped to take care of her while pregnant was in in the delivery room and in the hospital the entire time until released to go home. we all lived together and i worked to provide for us 3 as a family paying rent and other bills and money for food and other necessities i worked while she stayed home to take care of him.
legally i never adopted the boy but we both knew that we were both his mothers. His "Father", who is more a sperm donor then anything does not have a relationship with him and never has. he has never wanted anything to do with him and in some cases denied it was his biologically. it has been her and i from the time we found out she was pregnant. through some unforunate cuircumstances and the owner saling his home we had to move out. she moved into a shelter and i moved back into my parents place as a temporary solution to not having housing. i continued to support both her and our son and look for a new home to live in.
the housing they had was temporary time frame and i could not find a place within those few months so her father offered to let them move in with him. he lives in the state of Alabama. i helped them move and packed they stuff they would leave behind into my storage unit. they moved and i stayed in cali where i had a steady job. our intention was for her to move there for a time save some money as i saved too and get a place her in cali so we could all live together again as a family.
i visited while in Al and i also even drive the car that was in my name over to them so she could take our son to doctors appointments out to the park and other things. i continued to still send money for food and diapers and even bills that needed to be paid.
we ended up not staying together while they were in al as we decided it was best for us. i continued to send necessary stuff for our son and we had an amicable break up where i still got updates on our son and pictures ans even though we weren't together that was still my kid (as if a same sex couple broke up)
a few months ago i was informed that Cps in Al was taking our son away from her until they could find her to be a suitable parent and our son was save with her. i was told she needs to take her meds (she was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder while living in AL) go to therapy and parenting classes among other things to get him back. i told her while i am his parent legally he is not mine through the courts or adoption and i needed to establish rights incase she did not get him back. she agreed and said shed do whatever if anything on her part to prove i am his legal parent. i have been working on figuring out how to go about this. in the mean time she has "abandoned him" saying she doesnt want him that she cant take care of herself let alone him which we had previously spoke about during discussions over my legal rights to him.
to make a long story short he is in custody in Al and i live in Cali she will not be going to her classes or therapy or anything to try to get him back and has even said as im figuring out establishing rights she would sign our son over to me and terminate her parental rights. i am 1 trying to figure out how to establish rights to him so i can go to al and bring him back to cali to live with me and or also seeing if i can get her rights signed over to me and if thats enough or if i have any legal standing at all to get my son back and have him live with me, i just need to know if i have any kid of shot in proving he is mine and the courts agreeing and if i can get rights established and get him and if i do have a shot in getting legal standing of my child how would i go about it
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
10/3/2017
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 7 months ago
Michael Bradley

was the child placed with a relative?

Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 7 months ago

from a legal standpoint you are probably not going to able to prove that you are a "parent" at this time since an adoption was never done

that does not stop the argument

however, you have standing in custody court since you lived with the child and stood in loco parentis or as a parent as long as you were living with the child at least 6 months

I would need a better time line

how long were they in CA, how long in AL?

Ely, Counselor at Law