Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have been divorce over 20 years. My ex-husband can't seem…

Customer Question
I have been divorce...

I have been divorce over 20 years. My ex-husband can't seem to get over it, he is punishing me through my children and humiliation using his girlfriend to alienate me from my children. My children are grown adults and have nothing to do with me. I want to sue my ex and his girlfriend. Is that the right thing to do? because I have no connection with my children. He violation the divorce Cree of not sharing my children, trespass on my property with his girlfriend and thresh my home and suffered devastating emotional and psychology abuse.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Arizona, Navajo Nation on the Reservation

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, but I plan too and it's hard to get the right one.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
10/3/2017
Family Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. What is it you want to sue him over? Is he lying about you, and the lies are harming your reputation?

He kept me from my children with protection order, my children did not know of such, he lied to them saying you mom is not coming back, your mother ran off with another man, your mom does not want you. My children believe all the lies he told them and they are brainwashed. My children are adults have children, they won't forgive me, and I can't even see my grandchildren one daughter acts just like her father and put a protect order against me not talk to her and my grandchildren when nothing happen. that's the problem I've have done nothing to cause my children to hate me like their father does. The instigator is the father's girlfriend. I suffered tremendously giving birth to my children, loss a lot of blood-got blood transfusion, cause me health problems, and I don't deserve this hatred from my children and I don't want their disease of hatred going to grandchildren. this man, has to give me something back for having me suffer all these years not children or communicating with my children.

thank you

So what is your question regarding this?

Can I sue my ex for what he has done to me
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

I see you requested a new professional.

I am very sorry to hear you had to experience this; that must be devastating.

The common law does provide, but it is difficult to prevail, a remedy for "intentional infliction of emotional distress". This is a tort established by common law (not statute) and it requires a party intentionally causing emotional damage to another person. It is often seen as a second cause of action in a defamation case. It is difficult to sue based on this tort standing alone.

Normally when a person vioalats a family law order and a new girl/boyfriend interferes, there are family court remedies but those need to be addressed at the time of the event when the children are minors.

Often times, when one parent is experiencing "parental alienation" due to the conduct of the other parent, mediation between the adult children and the parent that was negatively affected can be very helpful in restoring the relationship.

Unfortunately it can negatively impact their relationship with the other parent if the child realizes how much they missed out on due to negativity.

I certainly wish you the best; please let me know if you have any follow up questions. Thank you.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Were you able to view the above- I see you opened a new question and it was closed as a duplicate so I wanted to see if you needed further assistance?