Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can someone get a legal separation without the property

settlements and later if there...
Can someone get a legal separation without the property settlements and later if there is a divorce do the property settlement at that time?.
10/3/2017
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Which State are you in?

Connecticut

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

In Connecticut - YES. Some states do not recognize legal separations BUt CT does. You do NOT have to resolve your property or other issues at the time of the separation.

At some point - if you decide to move forward with divorce you will have to make those decisions. When you do try to agree on as much as you can.

It is always better to enter into a written agreement and resolve as much as you can. The more you disagree the more costly the process becomes.

Here is a link to the law:

https://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/chap_815j.htm

Here are other resources that may be useful to you:

https://www.jud.ct.gov/lawlib/law/separation.htm

http://www.divorcesource.com/ds/connecticut/connecticut-legal-separation-5305.shtml

There are many sources on line where you can obtain the forms that you need. Some at minimal cost. Here is just an example:

https://www.lawdepot.com/contracts/separation-agreement/?loc=US&pid=msnppc-sepagr_us-legal_p1-msnkey_ct%20legal%20separation%20forms&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc#.WdZz1mhSzIU

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald-Esquire