Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

We've been married for 1 year and want to DIY a postnuptial…

Customer Question
We've been married for...

We've been married for 1 year and want to DIY a postnuptial contract (in Texas). He refuses to save any money for the future and I want to protect my 401K/retirement/pension accounts. Will a DIY postnup hold up in court?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Texas.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
10/3/2017
Family Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

As long as both parties are in agreement to the terms of the post nuptial contract, and have the ability to put those terms into a legal document, it is not required that you have a lawyer. Provided you are both competent at the time you sign it and voluntarily enter into, there should be no reason for a court to not uphold it, but it must be carefully drafted.

That said, do it yourself post-nuptial agreements are hard to come by on the internet --so you may wish to consider at least having a consultation with a family law attorney about having the document prepared.