Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Mt son was takin from me aprox 40 years ago how can i find…

Customer Question
Mt son was takin...

Mt son was takin from me aprox 40 years ago how can i find him?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean?

Lawyer's Assistant: What confuses you?

Been filed or reported

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to know how to find my 40 year old son that cps took from me when i was 15. i am now 57 years old.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
I have no documents I have Nutting but a hole in my heaet
I will call you tomorrow
.have to go to bed. Up early for work
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/3/2017
Family Lawyer: Sue, Family Law Attorney replied 10 months ago
Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney

Hello, Mary, welcome to the site. I’m here to help you today. I am a licensed attorney with over 35 years’ experience in family law, much of it in child welfare law. Now I work for the court in adoption law.

Most often if parental rights were terminated and the child was not placed with family, there will have been an adoption.

Adoption laws have loosened up in many areas since it was cloaked with secrecy back when you and I were teenagers.

You can go back to the court where your parental rights were terminated and ask to access the adoption file. Different jurisdictions have different rules, of course.

If you're comfortable you can search for a government website for that court, and look for a form that would allow you to ask for some or all of the confidential information in that adoption file.

If you're not, you could send me your city, county and State. I'd be happy to see what I can find.

There are also national adoption support networks for natural parents like you.

Some of the sites I found are geared to appeal to adopting families, which may be painful for you. You can find some support organizations here, here and here (this last one is from the UK, so may have limited relevance). Of course, always be aware of scams on these sites, especially any that charge a fee.

You can also see what Ancestry.com, www.genealogy.com/Records_Adoption or Omnitrace have to offer. Omnitrace is here.

This site offers on-line counseling for birth mother loss and many other concerns, and I'm sure there are more like it out there.

I cannot vouch for these sites, so again, please be careful if you visit them.

You may have questions about the information I'm sending you. Please let me know if you do. (I'm in a different time zone; I'll check for a response from you when I get up early for work.)

This thread will remain open about a week, and I check this site daily.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. I hope I have provided you the information you were seeking. If you’re satisfied with my assistance, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help or have any further questions, please do let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Take care,

Sue

Hi, Mary, just checking in.

Do you have any follow up questions?

Sue

I is thither a number were I can contact you. I need to find my son. Thank you

Mary, I'm so sorry - I cannot accept a telephone request at this time. I'm happy to continue to assist you via this written format, if that might suit you.

Would that be okay?

Did you find any of the links I sent you helpful?

I can opt out to return you to the question site so you can find an attorney who takes phone calls.

What would you like?

Sue

Is there anything I can do to assist you furhter?

Sue