Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband filed for divorce .I was never served papers. We…

Customer Question
My husband filed for...

My husband filed for divorce .I was never served papers. We separated . There was never a change of address . He was granted divorce without my knowledge of hearing and court dates .He deliberately gave a false address so I couldn't be notified. He kept me from knowing anything until it was final.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Kansas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
10/2/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. I am sorry to hear about this. His actions are certainly in bad faith. In a situation like this, a party can file a motion to vacate the final judgment. They can explain to the Judge the actions of the Ex and how they were never served and placed on notice and given a change to answer to this and the matter should be decided on the merits. Moreover, he likely had to file documents, under oath, so if he knowing liked, he could face criminal charges and face sanctions.

How do I file a motion ? Because I am lost and confused

I do understand. It would be filed with the clerk of court, in the county where the divorce was filed and ordered. The clerk of court in the family division, may have the forms for you to fill out and file, to vacate the judgment.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!