Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have 3 years of alimony yet to pay. My ex lives in NC and…

Customer Question
I have 3 years...

I have 3 years of alimony yet to pay. My ex lives in NC and has a significant other in a monogamous relationship. They see each other approx every other week, vacation together with my kids, share household responsibilities, but to best of my knowledge don't share bank accounts. He does buy her furniture and other items for her house. Do I have a claim for cohabitation a s

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

And relief from alimony. My ex lives in NC and he lives in Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I have a lawyer that handled or should I say bungled my divorce. He says I don't have a claim, but I'm not so sure

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I know he has bought my kids gifts as well. Not sur that matters. I need someone to tell me what qualifies as cohabitation and I can do some detective work if needed

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
10/2/2017
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

They're considered to cohabitate if they share a home. Even if they see each other all the time, if each of them has a home of their own where they sleep sometimes, that's not cohabitation. They do not have to share bank accounts. An argument could be made if they sleep at the same property 6 or more nights a week, but it's still tough when one of them has a home elsewhere (unless you can show they're renting it out and not living there).

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer