Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband and I moved in to my mother-in-law's house to…

Customer Question
My husband and I...

My husband and I moved in to my mother-in-law's house to take care of her with the promise that the house will be signed over to us in 2010 my father died and left me an inheritance and I try to finalize the house being signed over to us but my brother-in-law said he couldn't do it because it was still in probate now my husband attacked me and I had a restraining order against him and then my brother-in-law is trying to object to me out of this house that I put my father's money into fixing up do I have any rights this is New York

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I'm trying to

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My brother-in-law is a judge and lawyer in this area and we never had a lease or written agreement

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

New York Monroe county

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
10/1/2017
Family Lawyer: JD 1992, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

If you receive a notice or email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the notice or email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

You don't have a claim to the house since any agreement concerning real estate must be in writing to be enforceable. However, you could file a claim against the estate (you would need a lawyer) to recover all or at least a part of the money you put into the house.

JD 1992
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer