Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I am being divorced by my wife and we have an divorce

settlement agreement in which has...
I am being divorced by my wife and we have an divorce settlement agreement in which has been signed by her using Smith Williams, now I have received the divorce decree and she is using
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: ***** *****. The first is her maiden name with my last name and the second is her middle name. I’m in Virginia.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I have not.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was wondering if I should be concerned about the name on the decree that doesn’t match any of the other documents we have signed.
10/1/2017
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

If you receive a notice or email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the notice or email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

No, there is really no issue with her using a different combination of names on the documents. I would ask that both use our first, middle, and last names on the divorce decree but I don't think it will really make a difference since there are so many ways to prove it is her.

The only way it would be a big issue would be if the order states something is to be done only if it is under one name, and then she uses another name on the order, but that would be extremely unusual. It is one of the risks you take by not having an attorney though.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

just trying to be certain I understand. Our separation agreement she signed as V**** Smith Williams, and the divorce decree she uses V**** ***** *****. And she does have things to fulfill within that agreement. The name difference would not allow her to not fulfill her obligations to that agreement am I right?

I couldn't answer that without looking a the entire decree, which we can't do on here. The difference in names usually doesn't affect anything at all since the decree is entered for the person and not for a specific name.

JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Ok. Thanks

You're very welcome.

Thank you very much for allowing me to assist you. While the answers I give can't always be "good news", since the law can't always be favorable to everyone, I do strive to be as accurate as possible and to answer any follow up questions to the best of my ability.

You may receive a survey of some kind in the next day or so regarding your experience here at JustAnswer. Please be advised that I am responsible for the content of my answers but not with the issues of website performance or anything other than the answer. I hope that you will consider issuing a Positive Rating regarding my service to you so that I can continue helping others.

If I can ever provide assistance to you in the future please feel free to ask for me by starting your new question with "FOR DWAYNE B ONLY" and I will pick up as soon as I see the question.

JD 1992
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer