Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

This is about the death of my live in boyfriend, age 65 who…

HI Pearl. This...

HI Pearl. This is about the death of my live in boyfriend, age 65 who passed away very suddenly 2 weeks ago. He left no will, and has an adult daughter. Being Turkish, he married a woman from Turkey, and they stayed together in the US for about 20 years. They had the daughter together. The wife returned to Turkey about 15-20 years ago, and was hardly heard from since, except now after she learned of her husband's death. Of course she wants to know what's in it for her.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I have a house in New Jersey that he lived in with me for the past 8 years.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

BUT that's not what this is about. MY friend and I bought a house together in PA with Money that was left to him by his parents through a sale f a house in Turkey. The PA house is deeded 50-50 to him and me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There are bills to be paid first, as well the cost of the funeral....he had nothing except that house. WIll his wife get anything? Should I be concerned about my 50%. Thanks

10/1/2017
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

I'd like to continue online
I realize I would not be entitled to anything from him. My main concern is that his daughter will get nothing, so contrary to his wishes

My condolences for your loss.

As a life partner, unfortunately, you have no legal status in the intestate distribution of the estate under NJ law and the estranged wife does have a legal interest in and inherit his estate.

If he was the sole owner of the house, his wife inherits it. The daughter has no claim under the NJ Probate Code.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise.

his wife will get his share of the house, and not mine?

Correct. What is yours remains yours.

Was the title held as joint tenants?

Even though the money for the purchase was a gift from the sale of his parents property, and his wife was not involved?

Yes.

However, If you and your boyfriend held title in joint tenancy with right of survivorship then his interest automatically goes to you, as the surviving joint tenant. This would happen automatically, outside of probate.

So, you may want to check the deed to see if you are listed as joint tenant.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Then, without a last will, his share goes to the wife under the probate code.

Your share remains your own. It is not changed by his death.

Thanks very much. It's better to know the answer and not keep wondering!

You are very welcome. Thank you for understanding.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer