Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband and I have been separated for 4 years now. And we…

Customer Question
My husband and I...

My husband and I have been separated for 4 years now. And we are ready to file for a divorce now. We have already parted our ways and have started moving on with our lives. The divorce is mutually agreed upon. And there are no assets to be divided at all. Our properties are all separate now. Should we still fill out all our separate assets on the divorce paperwork?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

In California

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, not at all

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's the main thing

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/30/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAttorney, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
FamilyAttorney

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. I’m a licensed attorney with 37 years’ extensive experience in family law, trials, appeals, contracts, landlord-tenant, and other types of law.

This is general information and not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed, and no attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Also, I’d like to review your question for a minute and type your answer. If I am not here for a few minutes, that means I am typing your answer. THIS IS NOT YOUR ANSWER YET so please allow me time to type it up for you. It may take a few minutes, so please understand that. Thanks!

If a request for a phone call comes in, it is from the site, not from me. I will be happy to have a phone call with you but only if you want it. If you would like to request a phone call, that’s fine too. There is no pressure and we can stay here if you’d like.

Thank you for your question. It's good that you have divided all your assets and that everything is separate. That makes things easier. Unfortunately though, Cal requires Schedule of Assets and Debts (Form FL-142), whereby each party must declare all assets and debts, including community and separate property, to the other. According to Cal law, the Schedule of Assets and Debts is one of the forms you must exchange with your spouse in your financial declarations of disclosure. It is a requirement for divorces and legal separations. This has to be done to complete your divorce.

You can use anything you have from insurance forms to help you get started, such as a schedule of insured property.

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can help you with. That includes looking for lawyers. I’m happy to do so! I’m here most of the time (usually at night!) so you can always come back and talk to me (no extra charge) after I’m rated. If I’m not here, I will get an email if you leave me a question.

Please accept my answer, and please rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars (5, 4 or 3 stars, 5 stars would be much appreciated as I ALWAYS strive to give you 5 star service!). This can be found AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information such as where to find lawyers. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. I have given you the benefit of my legal knowledge and 37 years of experience as well as my time. My statistics show that almost 100% of my customers here have been extremely satisfied with my answers as I am always truthful and thorough. The majority of my ratings, by far, have been 5s, which is extremely important to me.

Feel free to come back here for a follow-up question based on this one.
You're welcome to ask follow-up questions at any time, any day after I'm rated, free of charge.

We are not employees of Just Answer but are independent contractors, so your rating is very important to us so that we can be reimbursed for our work. Thank you! I'd rather be given the chance to add more information than be rated negatively, so I thank you for that.

If you want to ask for me specifically another time -- for a new question -- ask for "NYFamilyAttorney ONLY" and I will get the question. Otherwise you can come right back into this room for follow-ups, free of charge.

Best of luck to you and thank you for letting me help you today! Thanks in advance for rating me!

I strive for 5 star service every time, so if there's anything else I can do to earn that, I'm happy to do so.