Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I'm in the florida keys and want to relocate to north

Customer Question
I'm in the florida...

I'm in the florida keys and want to relocate to north carolina. The other parent is in a different county 5 hrs from here. The other parent has not seen or attempted to see the children since jan 2016. The other parent has not called the children since 2015. It is doubtful the other parent will agree to relocation. What is my best course of action?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

June 2016 dcf told me they believed the other parent should not have unsupervised contact with children and definitely no overnights. Mostly irrelevant since the other wasn't attempting it anyhow

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/30/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Is there any type of custody agreement or visitation, in place at this time?

Eow and 2 months of summer, alternating holidays. I have medical and educational decision making.

Good morning and great to hear back from you. Since there is a court order in place and the father is entitle to that visitation schedule, it can not just be taken away.As a result, a motion would need to be filed with the court, asking the Judge to grant you to permission to relocate and to modify the visitation of the father. The Judge is always going to act in the best interest of the child, so you need to show why this should be done and also address the issue of the father and him not exercising any of his visitation rights now or over the past few years. if he fails to appear and respond or has no basis to object, the Judge can grant this and you can move without issue.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer