Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Im trying to get custody of my 6 year old daugther. I only…

Customer Question
Hello, im trying to get...
Hello, im trying to get custody of my 6 year old daugther. I only have her friday through sunday as of now, but i would like to have 50/50 custody. I would love to know if i have any chances of obtaining custody, and also if I would be entitled to pay child support. Im married and have 3 other children but my wife does not work. My daugther's mom only has 1 child and also works.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/30/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You have a good chance here of 50-50 here.The support gets lowered if not eliminated if true 50-50% custody.You can argue it is in the best interests of the child to have equal custody time.You have to be able to help transport child toe daycare/school/ activities.As long as you can do that I see no problems with arguing for equal custody as the best outcome under California law.

Reference

In the context of child custody cases, focusing on the child's "best interests" means that all custody and visitation discussions and decisions are made with the ultimate goal of fostering and encouraging the child's happiness, security, mental health, and emotional development into young adulthood.

Focusing on the "Best Interests" of the Child - FindLaw

If the court hesitates at 50-50 they may increase it to say 60-40% at least and reduce your support significantly.

Take what the court gives you here, you are headed in the right direction here.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Ok so for instance if I were no not be granted 50/50, but instead 40/60 if my income is 3,900 monthly after taxes. My bills are 1,900 for rent, 550 car payment, 350 for my wifes car payment. 250 utility bills and food expense of 400 montly, 200 car insure, 120 phone bills and some credit cards i need to pay. Her income is 2400 montly and pays 1000 in bills. Would i have to pay child support? Im scared that i wont have any money to pay for child support and not be granted custudy because of this reason. Also her mother has claimed her on taxes for the past years and is not allowing me to do so. Can this change in court?

Run the figures here on this simple calculator, the support may be reduced even at 60-40% here.

http://www.alllaw.com/calculators/childsupport/california

Its still not giving me any imformation because i have other children

A guess here $200- 250 a month for say 60-40%.

Let me know if you have more I gave you a guesstimate above.

Thanks for rating 5 stars at top of page and good luck.