Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Is child support payment necessary after age 18 and

Customer Question
graduation from Hi School if...
Is child support payment necessary after age 18 and graduation from Hi School if child goes to college?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: North Carolina
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not lately
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Child turns l8 Dec 28 and plans to attend college. Willgrad from Hi School in May
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/29/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly

100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

The answer to your question is generally no. Once a child turns 18 and graduates high school the child support payments are typically done. The Only Exception would be if the court order said otherwise. In some cases, the court requires that a parent pay for child support through the child's 21st or 23rd birthday or they may require support as long as the child is enrolled in college. If that is not the case, then the age of majority in North Carolina's 18 and the child support requirement would end.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer