Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a custody agreement with 50/50 legal and physical. We…

Customer Question
I have a custody...

I have a custody agreement with 50/50 legal and physical. We have two children, age 10 and 13. Our order states that neither parent is to move out of the county without permission of the court. My ex husband is pushing for our 13 year old son to attend high school in the county he is in. Since pre school both of our children have been in the same school district. His argument is that our oldest son does not want to go to the high school that is in the county I reside in. I would like to know what my rights are to this, as I don't have money for an attorney and he is threatening me to go back to court. He said that it is in the best interest of our son because it is what he wants.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I live in sacramento county and my ex moved to yolo county

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that is it I believe.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/29/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly

100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Generally, the state of California will always look to what's in the best interest of the children. If you were children have been attending the same district school and they have been relatively successful in passing their grades, then the court would probably not approve of them moving from Sacramento County to Yolo County. It is probable that the connections that they have made with their local community including the friends, teachers, sports leagues, churches, or anything else that binds a person to a community or going to be in the best interest of the child. Even though the father does live in Yolo County, it is probable that a judge would never Grant a request to have the children go to a school outside of the district. Did you have any other questions for me? If not, where you satisfied with my service today?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer