Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

The father of my child and I have no legal custody order in…

Customer Question
The father of my...

The father of my child and I have no legal custody order in place. I am curious as to what would happen if I am a child relocated to the state of Minnesota to better our lives?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. I don’t have a lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to know what would happen if we decided to move out of state. If I would be court ordered to come back or since I’m bettering our lives that I would be granted custody

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the court order was issued in?

We have no court order. But I live in Ottawa Kansas

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/29/2017
Family Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

Online is fine

If there is no court ordered custody or visitation in place or pending, the law allows either parent to go anywhere they want with their child without the permission of the other parent.

The only limitation is that you can not hide your child from the other parent or that can be crossing the line into parental kidnapping.

Otherwise, you do not need the father's consent to move to any state you wish.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Are you still online with me?

Family Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 7 months ago

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer