Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My Indiana divorce paper said, "The parties further agree…

Customer Question
Hi. My Indiana divorce...

Hi. My Indiana divorce paper said, "The parties further agree that weekly child support for the 2 children shall not be any less than $100 per week until such time as the youngest child, Esther, graduates from high school." Their mother and I follow Esther's graduate on June 9, 2015. Then, I would stop the child support payment. But, the department of child support said I must pay until the emancipation date of the youngest child in Indiana code. The code says that 19th years old youngest child on Nov 19, 2016 is reached and then I stop the payment. I disputed to answer no to the office. Who interprets the right? Kevin

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I live in Kentucky. But my divorce paper is in Indiana.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

The lawyer no longer works for the divorce case and works only counseling in the field.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I did try to find his associate (colleagues), but I can't find. I try to ask you.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/29/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Hi. My Indiana divorce paper said, "The parties further agree that weekly child support for the 2 children shall not be any less than $100 per week until such time as the youngest child, Esther, graduates from high school." Their mother and I follow Esther's graduate on June 9, 2015. Then, I would stop the child support payment. But, the department of child support said I must pay until the emancipation date of the youngest child in Indiana code. The code says that 19th years old youngest child on Nov 19, 2016 is reached and then I stop the payment. I disputed to answer no to the office. Who interprets the right?

Okay, thank you very much for your patience. Generally, the statutes are going to be the thing that that are controlling. What I mean by this is that if the child support department ignore what was in the court order and said that you needed to pay until Esther was 19, then that is going to be the rule. If she turned 19 on November 19th of last year, then your support should stop at that point. If it has not, then you may need to submit a modification or termination of Child Support to your local court so they can enter in a new order that your child support obligation has ended. Did you have any other questions for me about this?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer