Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband and I are the legal guardians of our six year old…

Customer Question
My husband and I...

My husband and I are the legal guardians of our six year old granddaughter, whose mother is a homeless drug addict with warrants out on her. Long story short, child was covered under a Medicaid health plan under her Mom, but was suddenly dropped as of Sept 1, 2017, most likely due to no contact by mother. Any avenue I pursue demands OUR income verification, etc. We are 65 and 66 years old, living on SS and pensions, and have returned to part time work to cover obvious expenses in raising a child. Something seems horribly wrong with this picture! This is a six year old child who needs health care coverage! Oddly enough, we KNOW other kids in same scenario with Medicaid coverage who live with grandparents! If we are forced to include her in our no good health policy, it will cost us more money and will cover/pay for nothing! We receive absolutely no money assistance toward her care, but would like her health care covered under a plan designed for children in court placed homes. Can you help?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

My name is***** is in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

We, of course, had an attorney two years ago when we went after legal guardianship.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Old

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/29/2017
Family Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney replied 8 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Yvonne, hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you.

Have you considered looking into MIChild for your granddaughter? I can send you information on that.

http://www.michigan.gov/mdhhs/0,5885,7-339-71547_2943_4845_4931-372505--,00.html It's a program for children under the age of 19 who have no comprehensive health coverage. The state has a vested interest in ensuring that minors have good coverage and this might be something you can do that won't cause you to have to take on more debt.