Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I got divorced in 2004 and remarried. I have joint custody…

Customer Question
I got divorced in...

I got divorced in 2004 and remarried. I have joint custody of 2 kids from first marriage. I have been married again with my current wife for last 9 yrs and now she wants to divorce and wanting to get my assets. She already had 3 kids from her previous marriage and never stayed with me most of the time as she has another residence with her kids.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Wayne Country, Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

She has not contributed anything towards our home or expenses. All money she made, she gave it to her kids.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She was in bad state in india, I helped her to get immigration to usa for her and her 3 kids. I took care of her expenses in india and now that she has immigration for all her kids. She is not at all good with my kids. She is just interested in money even though she did not contribute anything towards marital property. Instead I have been paying part of their expenses for her home with her kids.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/29/2017
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Michigan is an equitable distribution state, which means that you'll split all assets acquired during the marriage in a way the judge deems fair. That starts with the presumption of a 50/50 split. If the house is something that you had before the marriage and you didn't add her name to the title, she doesn't get any part of it. You're entitled to half of any money she put in bank accounts in her name only, including retirement accounts. Even when spouses keep their finances separate during a marriage, everything is split in a divorce. If you can establish that she fraudulently married you to get a green card, that might help you get a larger share of the marital assets.

In a 9 year marriage, it's not likely the judge would order you to support her, especially if she also has a job. And you're not obligated to support children she had before you married.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. If I did not address the specific thing that you wanted to know, it may not have come across clearly to me, so please restate that question. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer