Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a grandson living in my mother's house and he is

Customer Question
I have a grandson...

I have a grandson living in my mother's house and he is causing pure havoc. I am trying to get him out of the house legally. He's been there about six months. I was going the no trespass route but was informed he now gets mail. The house is in my name. What are my options

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

South carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No, not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He has been verbally and physically abusive to m brother which is his dad that lives there. My mother and brother is afraid. I can't get them to report the incident to the police. The grandson is veteran. My mom has informed me in one attack he had on his dad, which is my brother, he threaten to kill him. I'm nervous about the entire situation and I just want him gone

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/29/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If he has been violent and abusive, you can contact the police and report this and they can investigate. The police would need the cooperation of your mother and brother and if they do cooperate, there can be a basis to arrest and charge him and he would be ordered to leave the home and not have contract with them. If they did not want to to this, the next step would be to start the eviction process. Since he has resided there for all this time, you would need to evict him. You could provide him with a 30 day written notice to vacate and if he remains thereafter, proceed through the court and evict him. He will be served and placed on notice and need to respond and appear and unless he has a legal basis to remain, the Judge would likely order the eviction.

what you were saying that I have to provide him with 30 days notice to leave and if he remains after that 30 days I can start filing for eviction which can take up to how long

Yes, that is correct. An eviction can take a few weeks or over a month but he will be ordered to move.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!