Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am trying to figure out if Sherburne County Jail has a…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to figure out if Sherburne County Jail has a chaplain

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean

Lawyer's Assistant: What confuses you?

My fiance is being deported back to Guatemala and I need to marry and I was wondering if Sherburne County had a chaplain to marry us in the jail

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/29/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAttorney, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
FamilyAttorney

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. I’m a licensed attorney with 37 years’ extensive experience in family law, trials, appeals, contracts, landlord-tenant, and other types of law.

This is general information and not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed, and no attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Also, I’d like to review your question for a minute and type your answer. If I am not here for a few minutes, that means I am typing your answer. THIS IS NOT YOUR ANSWER YET so please allow me time to type it up for you. It may take a few minutes, so please understand that. Thanks!

If a request for a phone call comes in, it is from the site, not from me. I will be happy to have a phone call with you but only if you want it. If you would like to request a phone call, that’s fine too. There is no pressure and we can stay here if you’d like.

I reviewed it an yes, there is a chaplain for marriage purposes at that jail. However, it's not an automatic "yes" by the warden, as follows:

All marriage requests are case basis. The Field Office Director reviews every marriage request rejected by a Warden. Rejections are documented. It is standard practice to require a written request for permission to marry. The written request includes a signed statement or comparable documentation from the intended spouse, about marital intent. The Warden provides a written copy of his or her decision to the detainee and his/her legal representative.

When permission is denied, the Warden states the basis for his or her decision. The Warden provides the detainee with a place and time to make the wedding arrangements.

All marriage requests are sent to the ICE field office and if granted, the marriage takes place at the field office.

So it's up to the warden to determine whether he/she wants to let this occur. Your fiance will want to send in a request for permission in writing to marry.

Good luck to you! You can come back here free of charge after I'm rated for a follow-up question.

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can help you with. That includes looking for lawyers. I’m happy to do so! I’m here most of the time (usually at night!) so you can always come back and talk to me (no extra charge) after I’m rated. If I’m not here, I will get an email if you leave me a question.

Please accept my answer, and please rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars (5, 4 or 3 stars, 5 stars would be much appreciated as I ALWAYS strive to give you 5 star service!). This can be found AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information such as where to find lawyers. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. I have given you the benefit of my legal knowledge and 37 years of experience as well as my time. My statistics show that almost 100% of my customers here have been extremely satisfied with my answers as I am always truthful and thorough.

Feel free to come back here for a follow-up question based on this one.
You're welcome to ask follow-up questions at any time, any day after I'm rated, free of charge.

We are not employees of Just Answer but are independent contractors, so your rating is very important to us so that we can be reimbursed for our work. Thank you! I'd rather be given the chance to add more information than be rated negatively, so I thank you for that.

If you want to ask for me specifically another time -- for a new question -- ask for "NYFamilyAttorney ONLY" and I will get the question. Otherwise you can come right back into this room for follow-ups, free of charge.

Best of luck to you and thank you for letting me help you today! Thanks in advance for rating me!

I strive for 5 star service every time, so if there's anything else I can do to earn that, I'm happy to do so.

Hi, just checking in to see if you still need help with your question and if my answer was helpful for you or if there is any more information that you need. Let me know if you need names of lawyers and I can help you if you let me know where you live.Thanks!

FamilyAttorney

FamilyAttorney
FamilyAttorney
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer