Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My sister has been diagnosed with kidney failure and has…

Customer Question
My sister has been...

My sister has been diagnosed with kidney failure and has refused to accept dialysis. She is paranoid schizophrenic and takes medication. The hospital has requested that I take guardianship to be able to sign for her to receive dialysis and a permanent cath to deliver the medication. I do not want to be responsible for her debt. If I assume guardianship, can a clause be added to protect me from being responsible when her money runs out. She is in the hospital and they are pushing.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet. This just came up today and I was searching for a recommendation when I found your website.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My sister can be very confrontational. She has some funds and is on Medicare but not Medicaid. Her mental health is stable when meds are continued. The medications were discontinued due to kidney problems and once they are out of her system, she refuses any medications.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/28/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAttorney, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
FamilyAttorney

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. I’m a licensed attorney with 37 years’ extensive experience in family law, trials, appeals, contracts, landlord-tenant, and other types of law.

This is general information and not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed, and no attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Also, I’d like to review your question for a minute and type your answer. If I am not here for a few minutes, that means I am typing your answer. THIS IS NOT YOUR ANSWER YET so please allow me time to type it up for you. It may take a few minutes, so please understand that. Thanks!

If a request for a phone call comes in, it is from the site, not from me. I will be happy to have a phone call with you but only if you want it. If you would like to request a phone call, that’s fine too. There is no pressure and we can stay here if you’d like.

I agree that guardianship is the way to go here.

A guardian is the person appointed to handle the affairs of the incapacitated person.

A conservator handles the financial affairs of the incapacitated person.

You would just be looking to be the guardian, not the conservator.

Even so, guardians and conservators are not required to spend their own funds to care for the incapacitated person.

So you would not be on the hook for her financially. But you can always ask a judge to put that in an order if that makes you feel better. Make sure to file for guardianship only and let someone else file for conservatorship. That's probably the best thing here. This way, you have nothing to do whatsoever with the finances.

If YOU don't want to be the guardian, the court can appoint someone else to be a guardian. It doesn't have to be you. A court can appoint someone else, even a stranger, if they believe the person is able to take charge of the situation. Some courts have lists of people who are willing to serve as guardians.

If you do file for guardianship, make sure you have an attorney help you with it. Guardianship can be difficult especially when the ward (your sister) will make it more difficult.

We aren't allowed to refer to any particular lawyer. However, what I do here, which helps my customers tremendously, is I give you a list of lawyers in your area and I'll show you how easy it is to pick one.

I have a short, easy to understand guide and it will show you what to look for in an attorney. You can always run your picks by me and I can let you know if I think you're on the right track. I will also look for LegalAid and pro bono attorneys in your area if you tell me to do that. I just need to know where to look. The bigger the city the better. My customers tell me they have found great lawyers from my information. Just let me know if you want this information.

Good luck to you! You can come back here free of charge after I'm rated for a follow-up question.

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can help you with. That includes looking for lawyers. I’m happy to do so! I’m here most of the time (usually at night!) so you can always come back and talk to me (no extra charge) after I’m rated. If I’m not here, I will get an email if you leave me a question.

Please accept my answer, and please rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars (5, 4 or 3 stars, 5 stars would be much appreciated as I ALWAYS strive to give you 5 star service!). This can be found AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information such as where to find lawyers. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. I have given you the benefit of my legal knowledge and 37 years of experience as well as my time. My statistics show that almost 100% of my customers here have been extremely satisfied with my answers as I am always truthful and thorough.

Feel free to come back here for a follow-up question based on this one.
You're welcome to ask follow-up questions at any time, any day after I'm rated, free of charge.

We are not employees of Just Answer but are independent contractors, so your rating is very important to us so that we can be reimbursed for our work. Thank you! I'd rather be given the chance to add more information than be rated negatively, so I thank you for that.

If you want to ask for me specifically another time -- for a new question -- ask for "NYFamilyAttorney ONLY" and I will get the question. Otherwise you can come right back into this room for follow-ups, free of charge.

Best of luck to you and thank you for letting me help you today! Thanks in advance for rating me!

I strive for 5 star service every time, so if there's anything else I can do to earn that, I'm happy to do so.