Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My grandchild is currently in care can i have custidy of her…

Customer Question
My grandchild is currently...

My grandchild is currently in foster care can i have custidy of her until she can go back to parents

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/28/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

I’m sorry to hear about your situation. What I would probably recommend is that you go through the guardianship process. Generally, grandparents aren’t automatically provided rights of their grandchildren. However, if a grandchild’s parents cannot take care of them, grandparents can petition the court in the county where the child lives to have custody over that child. You would need to go down to the courthouse and collect the paperwork that is needed to file for guardianship. You would have to serve those documents on the natural parents and if the parents agree, a judge is likely to award you guardianship over the child. Sometimes, they will award immediate temporary guardianship over the child in a short timeframe so you if you go by Friday, you may get custody over the child ASAP.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.