Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My deceased son's g/f started her own GoFundMe page. My son…

Customer Question
My deceased son's g/f...

My deceased son's g/f started her own GoFundMe page. My son (who is now deceased for 3 years) and his g/f had a son. She is asking for $2000 for the health and well being of her son. We have called CPS a number of times to check on our grandson, without response. We live on the East Coast and they in the Lakeside/El Cajon area. The g/f is dating a gang member Vatos Locos. We want custody, guardianship of our grandson. She was an addict. I am so afraid that she owes her dealer $2000 and if he doesn't get the money, he will take the child. I do not know where to begin. We are afraid for our grandson.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

South Carolina. She is in California.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is kind of it in a nutshell. She has disowned her father because he will not allow the boyfriend in his house stating that he is "Evil."

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/28/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a California licensed attorney admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, Most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Thankfully, California has a method for grandparents to obtain guardianship over grandchildren. If you click here, you can download a packet for San Diego County that helps you understand the process. I know that you live on the other side of the country, however if you go to www.thumbtack.com, you can find a process server who can not only file these documents on your behalf, but they can also serve them on your son's ex-girlfriend as well. This means though that you may have to make an appearance at a California courthouse at some point in the future. This also means that you would have to prove that she's an unfit mother and that you are capable of taking care of the child unlike the mother. This also means that the court may have an investigation as well. If the mother agrees and wants to give up custody, then it will be a lot simpler. On the other hand, if the mother does not agree, then you're going to have to have a contested Hearing in prove your case.