Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

How after aa child turns 18 does a person have to pay child…

Customer Question
How long after aa...

How long after aa child turns 18 does a person have to pay child support in the state of Massachusetts. My boyfriends daughter turned 18 in march and now attends college in Pennsylvania.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I did, Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

He has not

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Rules on visitation in massachustts because his ex wife consistently changes the weekends. Also, if her financial situation changes can child support increase or decrease. There is no alimony

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/28/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. In MA, a court may order child support for a child until they are 23 years old. If there is no court order, a child will be considered a legal adult at the age of 18 and the duty to support them financially disappears at that time. If there is an order and one party is not abiding by the order (in respect to visitation) then a MA court may hold that party in contempt and order them to comply with the order. If the financial situation changes, then support can be decreased or increasing, assuming there is a showing of a need for the change (e.g. job loss. The party requesting the change may request a modification of child support through the court. Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.