Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am curious if a threatening boyfriend falls under family…

Customer Question
Hi I am curious...

Hi I am curious if a threatening boyfriend falls under family law jurisdiction?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

NY

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I am trying to see what my next course of action is He has threatened to "destroy" my career and to show up at specific conferences to tell them what a horrible person I am. he is not a US citizen and I do not want to take any course of action against him that would compromise is ability to stay in the states but he is continuing to threaten me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't know what the right next step is.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/28/2017
Family Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

In New York State, domestic violence can be addressed in criminal or in Family Court. The problem with criminal is that a crime of domestic violence would be a deportable offense if he's convicted.

However, if he is or was someone with whom you had an intimate relationship, then Family Court would allow you to petition for a protective order. It would prevent him from contacting and harassing you. If he failed to abide by the order, he could be arrested and charged with contempt of the order, along with charges for whatever he did to violate that order.

Since the civil order would not jam him up with Immigration, going to Family Court would be the better choice for you. You can read more about the process here.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.