Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have recently been to North Carolina on an ESTA from the…

Customer Question
Hi, I have recently been...
Hi, I have recently been to North Carolina on an ESTA from the UK and met a girlfriend. She was divorced and I was supporting her with money I had and sent by my parents. She has anxiety, depression and bipolar so is unable to work. We found that she is pregnant with my twins so I had overstayed my 90 days by about 40 days. I need to get back there to be with her and it is causing her alot of stress. I am worried about her and my unborn babies. How can I get there as soon as possible? Thanks James
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/28/2017
Family Lawyer: Longhorn Lawyer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Longhorn Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

During this conversation, you might experience some delays while I work with several customers at the same time, or I am preparing a response to you. Please do not click Opt Out expecting a faster response. This results in more delays while waiting for another Expert. I assure you I will help you in due time. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Have you checked your status in ESTA?

It said I still had it the other day. I have only been back in the UK for a week
Can we still use text? Money is tight right now

Yes, that's fine. I did not send you that offer, it is automatically generated. I am preparing your response now.

I really do need to get there within a few weeks.

OK, thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: Technically, when you overstay on the Visa Waiver Program (there is no such status as ESTA—that is just the system in which you register to travel on the VWP), your registration is automatically canceled. So you are ineligible to re-enter the US on the VWP. The fact that it seems like it is still valid does not necessarily reflect the actual record, which likely will show that you overstayed. I would not risk trying to travel on the VWP because there is a high chance you will be denied entry and forced to return to the US.

You need to apply for a B2 visitor visa through the consulate abroad. It shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks to complete the process. There is no way for me to guarantee that you will be issued the visa, but it is the only way to get back to the US quickly, within a few weeks, now that you are no longer eligible for the VWP.

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not received credit for it. Do you need more help? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Thank you!

My VWP has not been canceled, would I still be ok to travel?

I am happy to continue assisting you, but because I answered your question yesterday, I have concerns that I am not going to get credit for this question.

Do you still want help or have we finished?

Longhorn Lawyer
Longhorn Lawyer
Longhorn Lawyer, Lawyer