Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I know this guy who was adopted. He was never really legally…

Customer Question
I know this guy...

I know this guy who was adopted. He was never really legally adopted and lived 19 years thinking his fake last name was his real last name. his mom had gotten a fake birth certificate and scratched off his real last name from his ss card and found a way to make it look like his last name was hers. Now he cant get his taxes check cashed and is worried about getting his name "changed" back to his real one, but without a ss with his real name he cant change anything.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, thats all i can think of

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
He does have his original birth certificate now though
9/28/2017
Family Lawyer: KLAW, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer

G​ood morning. Would he like to keep the name he has been using?

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

It's a fairly simple probate proceeding. In order to change his name legally, he would need to file a name change petition in Probate Court in the county in which he resides.

The steps are as follows:

First, he must fill out the petition. I have attached a copy of the petition and all the forms here in a link.

http://probate.franklincountyohio.gov/public/documents/PDF/60E5E0F4-DBCF-D509-FC710927CB6EB017.pdf

He must enter his current name, the name he wants now, and the reason you're changing his name. Sign and date the petition, and enter an address and telephone number in the spaces provided.

Next he must file the application in the court. Keep one copy. The clerk will give him a hearing date.

The next step is to contact a newspaper of general circulation in the Ohio county he’s filling the application. Schedule a legal notice of the name change to run in the paper one time at least 30 days before the hearing. Newspapers typically have a form for legal notices. Use the petition copy as a guide when filling out the form. The notice must include the court location, hearing date and time, and the case number, as well as the purpose of the application, current name and the name he’s seeking. The newspaper will charge a fee for running the notice, but the amount depends on the newspaper's rates. Ask the newspaper for proof of publication.

He must then attend a hearing with the judge and bring the original proof of publication with him.

After he receives the judges signed name change order, he can contact the Ohio BMV and change his license, and the Social Security and any other official agency who requires his legal name change on documents.

I hope this helps.

It was a pleasure assisting you today, and I would appreciate if you would rate my service, so I will receive credit and payment for my work. After you rate the question you can ask follow up questions, and you will not be charged any additional money for the follow-up questions.

Also, he needs to bring the birth certificate with him to court to show the judge.