Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My questions relate to (1) what risks, if any, my daughter…

Customer Question
My questions relate to...

My questions relate to (1) what risks, if any, my daughter faces in her proposed course of action (described below) and (2) whether she should change what she proposes to do in order to minimize her risks.My daughter (hereafter “Daughter”) lives in a small town in Missouri. She is 21 years old, she has a 2-year old baby (hereafter “Baby”) who lives with her, and Baby’s father (hereafter “Father”) also lives with them. Daughter and Father cannot get married because Daughter needs the health insurance from my policy, which she would lose if she got married. They live in a modest-size depression –era house (hereafter “House”) that my grandparents built and that belongs to me. Father also has a child (hereafter “Child”) from a prior marriage with a woman (hereafter “Birth Mother”) who also had two boys (hereafter the “Older Boys”) from a prior marriage of hers with another man (“Birth Father”).The residents of the House consist of Daughter and Baby, Father and Child and the two Older Boys. The two Older Boys are brothers to each other but are not otherwise related to anyone else in the House. They ended up in the house because they had lived with Father when he was married to Birth Mother and so he had developed an affection for them as young boys; they are now in their mid-teens and in high school. Birth Mother took them to the House several years ago saying she would get them back after several months, but she never did. She had been sick, and in the course of that she developed a drug addiction that has been a major problem for her ever since. Daughter and Father agreed to take the Older Boys at the time. However, Older Boy #1 has more recently developed hostility problems and has been making disturbing false negative statements about Daughter and Father.Daughter and Father had been providing for the Older Boys most of the time from their own funds. Birth Father had been paying child support for the Older Boys, but Birth Mother had been keeping that money for herself. Recently she began paying the child support to Daughter and Father, but it was not sufficient to pay the Older Boys’ expenses. Daughter and Father used their own money (Daughter got hers from me) to pay the extra costs and expenses of the Older Boys for food, clothing, school and everything else (Xmas presents, birthday presents, vacations (they took them on camping trips, trips to Florida, Colorado and elsewhere, etc., etc.) They also gave the Older Boys a place to stay in the House. The House is not large, and it became sufficiently crowded that the otherwise unfinished basement was decorated sufficiently to create two rooms for them there (with hanging sheets), and they kept all of their things there in the basement. Daughter wasn’t able to “clean house” for them. She has a very painful back; she had major back surgery when she was 13, and subsequent back injuries left her in major pain and significantly immobilized. She just had a second major back surgery two weeks ago and is still recovering. Major housework is not an option for her physically. Father does what he can, but he has three jobs at minimum wage. Daughter is unable to have a job or even attend school because of her back. The Older Boys were expected to house clean for themselves. However, Older Boy #1 in particular didn’t take care of his things, they got into a mess, and much of them got so dirty that, after many warnings to Older Boy #1, those things had to be thrown away.In recent times Older Boy #1 became very difficult for Daughter to deal with, not to mention that he was going around town falsely claiming that Father and Daughter were “abusing” him. Apparently he could point only to the fact that things were thrown away after they had gotten so dirty that they couldn’t remain in the House. Word leaked back about his false accusations of abuse. He was advised that if his difficult behavior and false accusations didn’t stop he would have to find another pla

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Missouri

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so. If a question arises in your mind, please let me know.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/28/2017
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Out of everything you typed, you did not disclose one thing that would even remotely be considered abusive. In order for him to make any abuse claims that are even investigated, there has to be actually some significant proof of actual abuse. Without that there is no official investigation.

Quite honestly, these boys are not your daughter or father's responsibility legally, so they can force them to go back to their father or mother legally and the boys cannot stop that and the father or mother cannot stop and refuse to take them back. Since the boy's father started paying child support to dope addict mother again, the best bet is contacting him and telling him he needs to come get his boys and then he can stop paying support to a dope addict and make the father take responsibility for them. Legally, if he refuses it could be deemed child abandonment on his part and he could be charged.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.