Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am cancelling a Parenting Plan Mediation meeting due to…

Customer Question
Hi. I am cancelling...

Hi. I am cancelling a Parenting Plan Mediation meeting due to the other side that is currently in violation of the Parenting Plan. The Parenting Plan states that both parties are required to do mediation before going to court. I am not against going to mediation. However, I am currently in the process of getting my own counsel. How do I respond to not going to the current mediation appointment until I get my legal counsel in place?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

My apologies. I am in Washington State, Clark County.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I do not have one on retainer yet. in the process of getting one. Need to respond to other parties lawyer immediately although.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Other than my reasoning for cancelling this current appointment is that the other party is in violation, no.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/28/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You would do a motion to continue the mediation date and seek to delay on basis that you need counsel and are in the process of getting it.This is reasonable and should be granted.

Hi Ray. And thank you for your assistanc
Well, the case has not gone to court yet. Just need to respond to opposing lawyer.

You are so welcome this should be granted here.You have good cause.Good luck to you.

Thank you.

Lawyer referral

Southwest Washington Lawyer Referral

The Southwest Washington Lawyer Referral is an organization sponsored by the Clark County Bar Association. The SWLR provides referrals to attorneys who've agreed to provide an initial half hour consultation and not charge more than $125.00. Please be advised that while the attorneys do provide reduced cost consultations, they do not provide pro-bono or free legal services.

To receive a referral please call(###) ###-####

Email: *****@******.***

Office hours are Monday - Friday Noon - 4:00pm.

Thanks for rating 5 stars at top of page.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer