Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have been married to my husband since 2008. we have our…

Customer Question
I have been married...

I have been married to my husband since 2008. we have our cells phones under his name. when he gets mad he takes my phone away so I can not call anyone for help or to leave in a bad situation. is this possible

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Idaho

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No..

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No.. iwant to know if you can tas

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/28/2017
Family Lawyer: lawyerJ, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
lawyerJ
lawyerJ, Lawyer

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm a licensed attorney. Please note, all information is provided for educational purposes only.

Any property that has been acquired during the course of the marriage is community property. That means both you and your husband have an equal right to that property. A cell phone acquired during the course of the marriage would be considered community property, even if the plan is under his name. Therefore, you have just as much right to use that phone as he does.

What's more concerning is that he's taking the phone away to prevent you from reaching out for help when a situation may be escalating. This is a form of isolating you. If he is being abusive, you need to document this abuse and report it to the authorities, especially if you're considering a possible separation or divorce.

If I've fully answered your question, I'd appreciate a five-star rating. If not, please let me know how else I can assist you.

lawyerJ
lawyerJ
lawyerJ, Lawyer