Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My daughter is seventeen and had conscentual sex with a 29…

Customer Question
My daughter is seventeen...

My daughter is seventeen and had conscentual sex with a 29 year old who claims he didn't know he had HIV. She know has HIV and is pregnant with his child. Can I as her parent file charges even though she thinks she is in LOVE

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Ga

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Scared Ill lose my daughter she can now run off and get married without consent. She was baby sitting for this guy and his children's mother who has HIV

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm not sure what else to say.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/28/2017
Family Lawyer: Thelawman2, Attorney replied 11 months ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

So first, this would not fall under the statutory rape charges because the age limit in Georgia is 16 rather than 18. So you would not be able to press charges for that.

As for the HIV, you could go to the police and ask charges to be pressed against the man because Georgia does have a law that makes in a crime to knowingly transmit HIV to another person through sexual conduct. However, for the charge to stick, you would have to demonstrate that this person actually knew they had been infected with HIV; it is not enough that they only suspect they have HIV.