Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My 11 year old daughter was beat with a belt that left

Customer Question
My 11 year old...

My 11 year old daughter was beat with a belt that left bruises on her arms back and butt last night . My lawyer is not available for a couple days and the dad is saying he has the right to pick her tomorrow and do whatever he wants with her . We do have an 11 year old visitation agreement but with what he did to her am I legally bound to letting her go again

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Just the office to set up an appt .

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/27/2017
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 11 months ago
Michael Bradley

since you have a court agreement and order, the legal answer is yes she should go

to not be held in contempt for violating the order you can not simply not allow her to go as it will be seen as willful contempt

since I am assuming that you do not want that to happen you can either file a motion in family court taking away his rights which will take time and be hard since your attorney is away or

you are going to have to make a complaint to Child Protective Services which will come out and investigate

parents are allowed to punish their children but what happened may have crossed the line

If I make the complaint with child protective services would he still be able to get her tomorrow
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 11 months ago

if there is an active report against him in my opinion you would be justified in not allowing her to go

in that report they will talk to her, you and him as part of the investigation

Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 11 months ago

that opinion would stay the same as long as the report is open, if it is closed and completed then I would change my opinion

I would also suggest filing to modify when your attorney gets back

Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 11 months ago

good luck

please rate my advice

while I do not do this for the ratings, my compensation is tied to the rating system

thank you