Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My daughter and her ex gave custody to a 3rd party over a…

Customer Question
My daughter and her...

My daughter and her ex gave custody to a 3rd party over a year ago. Both my daughter and her ex have been in and out of jail since. I know Washington State has no Grand parental rights however, a distant relative is now suing for custody of my grandson. Do I have any rights or legal action I can take to get custody? My daughter is currently serving time and is not super happy about signing papers to give him to myself or his aunt (my other daughter) and after his last stay with his father he came back weighing 33 lbs. I'm at a loss and am not sure if I have a leg to stand on.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Washington State

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at this time. As I said I know there are no Grand parental rights in this State so I may be dragging a dead dog.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/27/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. One of the things that you could do is try to get guardianship over your grandson. Basically, you would need to go down to your local County courthouse and get the guardianship paperwork needed to help take care of the child. You would need to serve those documents on the mother and father. If they agree, then the court should probably grant you Guardianship over the child. You also need to make sure that you make yourself available for interviews and investigations by people appointed by the court. This means that they will ask you questions about your job, your living situation, your criminal history, your work situation, everything of the sort. So, the answer to your question is yes. You can get rights to the child even if there are no specific grandparents rights..

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer