Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I would like to know can you get a divorce first in Tn and…

Customer Question
I would like to...

I would like to know can you get a divorce first in Tn and settle your property later there are no children involved

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/27/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

I'm sorry, I posted that to the wrong thread.

Ok. The answer to your question is no. You would have to come up with some sort of property settlement agreement ahead of filing for divorce. The judge won’t be able to grant the divorce unless you have come to an agreement on the property. Even if it means that you and her take everything you came into the marriage with, it’ll still be required.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.