Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Common law marriage in is it leagle. Seattle washington

Customer Question
common law marriage in...

common law marriage in Washington is it leagle

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Seattle washington

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/27/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon.

Washington State law does not allow for common-law marriage, courts will only divide property and debts if you demonstrate that you were in a committed intimate relationship. Once you demonstrate the existence of such a relationship, courts will then apply a " fair and equitable" standard in dividing the property and debts.

In determining what is fair and equitable, courts will look at the specifics of your case and consider the following factors:

• The nature and extent of the property
  • The length of your intimate committed relationship
  • The economic situations of each party

And even then, courts will not divide all property and debts. The fair and equitable standard applies only to property and debts acquired during the relationship. Separate property (whether belonging to one partner before the relationship or obtained by one partner during the relationship as a gift or inheritance) is not divided by the court.

If you cannot demonstrate that you were in a committed intimate relationship, then courts usually divide the property and debts according to whose name is ***** ***** property

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.