Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I'm in Massachusetts. Is there such thing as a separation…

Customer Question
Hi, I'm in Massachusetts...

Hi, I'm in Massachusetts. Is there such thing as a separation agreement vs. a divorce?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My husband filed for divorce. we have a date. now we are discussing mediation.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/27/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

There is no "legal separation," in Massachusetts. You do not have to get court permission to live apart from your spouse. It is legal to live apart from your spouse. There are "separate support" cases in Massachusetts. To get a Judgment for Separate Support or a Judgment for Support, you file a Complaint for Separate Support or a Complaint for Support. In Massachusetts, spouses can make "separation agreements." A "separation agreement" is a written agreement signed by the husband and wife. If you complete a "Separation Agreement" without filing it with the court, it is a contract between you and your spouse. It is not a court order. While it may not be a bad idea to have a contract, it may be difficult to enforce; therefore, you probably will want to file your agreement with the court and ask the judge to order you and your spouse to obey it.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!