Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

The day my grandma died DHS called to meet with me for abuse

against her. My mom had...
The day my grandma died DHS called to meet with me for abuse against her. My mom had financial POA so she is getting investigated for that because my aunts think money is missing. All the money is accounted for and before she did anything, she saw a lawyer to get approval. The lawyer said she could sell a vehicle for appraisal value. Also, the house for appraisal value. So she did bother since my grandma would have never been back home from the hospital and skilled care. I was asked if I paid half of the bills (water, electric) and I said no because I never agreed to that when I moved in to care for my grandparents. When my grandpa died I continued living with my grandma for a little over a year till she ended up in the hospital. I talked to a lawyer that I gave my grandma's will too and told hime what was going on. He said I didn't do anything wrong but care for my grandma and DHS can't charge me. He said nothing was done wrong in financial part either. DHS has notes from the nursing home and doctor but they can write anything they want and not be the truth. I didnt care for the doctor because he didnt help my grandpa on a Friday and he passed on Monday from a blood clot when the doctor said it was just fluid. The nursing home called and tild my mom that my grandmas feeding tube came out and the nurse said how she did it. The nurse called me and told me the same thing but then the nurse facw to face said 2 more different stories and recorded the different story so it wasnt the nurses fault like she had told us. Can a lawyer write a letter to DHS to get this case closed so I can stop being investigated for things I didn't do and have to go through this?
9/27/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

None of the experts from this site can write letters for customers of this site, it is forbidden by state laws as it is considered representation. Is that what you were asking us?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, if I hire a lawyer, could that lawyer write a letter to try and close the case out if they feel I didn't abuse my grandma. I also have at least 12 letters from people stating I wouldn't dream of abusing her.

Thank you for your clarification.

You can get a local attorney to represent you with DHS and while it may not speed up their investigation, it will help make it clear to them that you have committed no illegal acts in management of her affairs. DHS is known for dragging their feet in investigations, sometimes due to the volume of cases and sometimes due to the sheer incompetence of their social workers and using an attorney can push them to complete their investigations where the attorney can show no illegal acts have been committed in a very clear and basic manner to them.

So, if there is an ongoing investigation, you should have an attorney representing you to pursue your interests with DHS, as they will be more likely to be responsive to your attorney than they will be to someone they are investigating.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer